> I am migrating applications from an SGI to a linux Platform --> "me and my
> Big mouth"
> Most of the Code is portable, yeah most.  OKAY, here is what I'm looking
> for.  Sgi has a kernel functions to scan and initialized hardware inventory
> list, header file "invent.h" Did anyone encounter a similar function in
> linux? I am looking at the kernel source code and thought someone might
> already know.
> can someone Help Please

I don't know what you're talking about, but
You might find the info you want in dmesg output (but its format changes every
second day so..)

Take a wander through /proc where you might find such gems as this (trimmed!):
[summer@possum summer]$ cat /proc/pci  | head
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX Host bridge (rev 3).
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe7ffffff].
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX AGP bridge (rev 3).
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=9.
  Bus  0, device   4, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 1).
[summer@possum summer]$

Be aware that not everyting there is displayed as printable ascii characters;
I have some junk under /proc/bus/usb/