As far as I can tell, the inventory is a SGI specific hardware
management interface.  In irixinv.c there is a static table that has
dummy devices in it to maintain IRIX binary compatibility.  This isn't
an interface that Linux uses; you'll have to find a Linux interface to
do what you want to do...

What do you want to do?

Matt