> It's *in* /proc/pci....I'm not sure what that means, exactly. I've tried
> passing the "ether=etc,etc" string during boot. It's a Winbond chip, so I
> guess I might need to compile it in as a module (I'll check Dave Becker's
> site).

Unfortunately the "ether=etc,etc" only works when its compiled directly into the
kernel, not as a module.

> Now here's a potentially stupid question, *how* do I know if it's
> working..the boot screen scrolls by awfully fast...

Check /var/log, and specifically /var/log/dmesg for the boot information.  And
don't worry about stupid questions -- this isn't an intelligence test, there's a
bit of a learning curve, that's all :)

> I probably have to compile a kernel for the first time soon, so I can add
> sound support (I really like my ACER soundcard..in everything *but* Linux)
> and CDR-support so I can start burning CDs in Linux, maybe I should add
> the NE2k-pci module at that point. But I think you're right, Redhat 5.0
> with the .32 kernel should support it. (argh).

So it is an NE2k card?  If so, then try the following:

# insmod ne

If that doesn't work, check Donald's site for an updated driver, which will
surely fix your problem.  You might even start with a more updated RPM if there
is one..

>> If your ambitious, you could start with the RH web site, and find the online
>> documentation, which should help to fill in some of the missing pieces..
>
> I think using Linux is the definition of ambitious <grin>. I'll check it
> out.

Hehe, ain't that the truth :)

Dave