I downloaded the HylaFax RPM's from ftp.redhat.com in the hurricane i386
contrib directory and installed it (and its docs and the newer ghostscript
fonts and code) on my RH50 system.

I ran through the configuration, and the code identified my modem as
having a Rockwell chipset with Fax class 2 support. (This modem is
presently in use with a commercial fax product under Windows NT and works
great. It is a NewCom/Aura 28.8 external modem).

So, all would appear to be well, except for two things:

1. During the configuration of the modem (With 'faxaddmodem'), it
complains that my fax phone number of "+1.404.876.8191" does not match my
country code (1) or area code (404)... that's wierd.

2. And, once it is all set up and a faxgetty is running on /dev/modem
(symlinked to /dev/cua2), faxgetty never answers the phone when incoming
calls ring :( I haven't tried sending a fax out yet.

Turning off the faxgetty and running 'cu -s38400 -l/dev/cua2' (the hylafax
software picked 38400 as its comm rate to the modem, so I picked it too)
and dialing in on that line does result in "RING" appearing from the
modem.  Despite this, faxgetty either doesn't see the "RING", or sees it
and chooses to not answer it.

The hylafax docs imply that simply setting the Getty Arguments parameter
to non-empty will turn on incoming data calls, and my GettyArgs are set to
"-h %l %s", so I assuming that incoming data calls are enabled.  Though,
as with the comment ahead about adaptive answering, I don't think that
this matters, because faxgetty never tells the modem to answer at all.

Though I doubt that it matters, since the modem is never instructed by
faxgetty to answer, adaptive answering by the modem is enabled (not cooked
up by hylafax -- the modem supposedly supports it and hylafax's init
strings to the modem, based on the hylafax knowledge of the Rockwell
chipset, includes the command to turn it on).

Any ideas what's wrong?  These come to my mind, and I'd like your thoughts
on them and on anything else:

1. Maybe this particular modem isn't quite what its chipset claims, or has
other quirks

2. Maybe I need to configure the modem for a certain baud rate lock, and
at present the "RING" is coming through but not at 38400.

3. Possibly related to #2, since this is Linux we're talking about, and
38400 really means spd.vhi with the way I've run setserial, perhaps
hylafax is really listening at 38400 and the port is really running at
115200?  Probably not this -- I just reset the serial port to make 38400
be really 38400, and it behaved exactly as before: the phone rang several
times, but faxgetty never told the modem to answer.

Thanks...

Jay Vassos-Libove               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+1 404 876 8190  home           +1 404 705 2867  work
Atlanta, GA 30308 U.S.A.