At 11:34 PM 5/25/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Out of interest, does anyone here use a trackerball? Linux always leaves me
>with an aching right-wrist (*no* stupid jokes, please, heh) so I'm investing
>$50 in a good trackerball. Has anyone else noticed how fiddly the mouse is
>under Linux compared to Windows NT4, or is it just my imagination?
>
>It seems to me, it's the little things like that (and the 100 or so hours it
>takes to get a pretty desktop again after the changeover) which keep people
>from making the leap from NT or 95.

Another thing is things like the way menus under X react instantaneously.
This means you have to be extremely precise, you cannot cut the corner when
mousing, like you can in windows or better yet, the mac.  People doing UI
design should be familiar with the Mac and the why of Mac standards, they
are not always right, but they are well thought out, and good, unlike
windows.

Or is there some way to force a delay?

Also, people should check out the way menus work on
Nextstep/Openstep/Rhapsody.  They extend off the screen, and then scroll
smoothly as the mouse nears the end of the screen.  Best way to handle
menus that reach off the screen I have ever seen, it's almost magical.  It
is fast too, because you do not have to guess where the menu items will
appear, nor do you have the problem of not being able to reach items that
are off screen.

If you have any interest in the subject at all, I suggest you read David K.
Every essays on the Mackido, also, he has fun deconstructing Microsoft
Windows UI.

Here is an essay on the subject of time delays in menus and so forth:
http://www.mackido.com/Interface/hysteresis.html

Here is some good writing on the subject of UI:
http://www.mackido.com/Interface/