On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> I talk about how FTP typically sets the HIGH THROUGPUT TOS, and others
> (like Telnet) set the LOW DELAY TOS.  And I mention that modern routers
> handled packets in the queue based on the TOS flags, and that I suspect
> that Linux can even do that.

There's been a lot of talk on this subject and I'd like to clarify my
standpoint.  What I'm saying is that once the data arrives on your end of
the connection, there is nothing you can do about it - the bandwidth has
already been used.  Regardless of how the routers along the way (and
especially the system you are dialing into, as the dialin is the slow
link) treat the data, there isn't anything the end user can do about it.
You, as a client, on the slow end of a dialin line, have no control over
which data you receive, unless you are connecting through an intelligent
proxy (located on the fast end) which allows you to set these priorities.
What the routers do between the client and the remote site is beyond the
control of the client.