On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Wim Raets wrote:
>
> > I am FTP'ing a new kernel(+/- 10MB) at max speed (4K/s).
> > If I would start surfing(http) now, the speed of webpages coming through
> > would be terrible. So I would like to lower the priority of the
> > ftp-connection and raise those of the http-connection. How can I do this
>
> Short answer: You can't.
>
> Longer answer: You don't control the speed at which incoming data is
> received.  You only control the speed at which outgoing data is sent.
> Therefore, you do not control the priorities which you seek to set.
> Furthermore, there really aren't any such "priorities", the speed of the
> data is controlled only by the capacity of the network hardware in between
> you and the remote sites.
>
> It would be possible to write software (which would have to be run at the
> ISP in the form of a proxy) that could allow such regulation to take
> place.  I'm not aware of any such software, however.

Well actually, he did hit on something there.

If he installs squid, and sets ftpget to only use say 1k/sec, then he will
get the effect desired, plus he will find his web browsing to be a little
faster (due to squid cacheing stuff)

The downside of this of course is that it takes ram to run, and hd space
for all the cached objects.

Of course, one could just use ftpget from the command line, specifying the
parameters there ;)

---
Nathan Ollerenshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Grid9 System Administrator