On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Wim Raets wrote:

> The solution:
> If I could somehow make my PC wait 'a few seconds, but not to long'
> before responding to the server, the throughput would drop. Because the
> server has to wait for the confirmation before sending the next packet.

This is probably a bad solution.  If the server does not hear from you
quickly enough, it resends the packet, assuming it got lost or mangled
somewhere along the way.  Therefore a solution like you propose, while it
would be able to adjust throughputs, would mostly lower your total
bandwidth, not reallocate it.  So it is probably not what you want.