Michael Lees wrote on 5 Jun 98, :

> | >How do I make a boot disk to fire up Linux, I now have it
> | installed with
> | >no way of firing it up :-(
>
> This is not as difficult as you think.
> Simply boot the computer with the RedHat boot/install floppy.
> When you are greeted with the menu, the bottom of the screen will have a boot
> prompt
> (ie "boot: ") (Assuming RedHat 5.0).
> At this boot prompt simply type "vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1" (If linux is in the
> hdb1 partition of the second hard drive)

Yes it did, my Linux is on hdb2

I went in, added a user, & then did the following to try create a boot disk
dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192

This boots and I then get then the following error

VFS: Cannot open root device 08:05
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs 05:05

I can still go in manually using my install disk, what is the correct
procedure to make a boot disk?

Mike Hesse
P.O.Box 613         Tel & Fax (H) +2711-475-4619
Cresta                   Tel (W)+2711-706-1217
2118                     Fax (W) +2711-706-7608
South Africa