On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, James Michael Keller wrote:

> Innd is loading at boot ok, I don't have an active list yet, and I'm not
> sure how to get that down from the ISP.

Ask them for it. :)

> I don't want to carry the entire feed, ( ie 80% of the damn feeds are
> the *.binary.* groups. ) Just a few that I read.  So I figure there has

I'd suggest that you get Leafnode.  It is a small, easy-to-install news
server that is designed to run over dialup connections for small sites.
(Make no mistake, though, I use it for the central news server at a small
ISP, it is very solidly built and handles light use very well no matter
how you use it).  It has several advantages:

1) Works as an NNTP client (a 'suck' type server) rather than as a
server-to-server connection (an 'xfer' server like INN).  Many ISP's,
especially if you are on dialup, only provide this type of feed.
2) Much smaller than INN
3) Much easier to deal with.  It is easier to compile and install leafnode
from scratch than to even configure INN.
4) Automatically determines which groups you want to read and downloads
them.

Once you read a group, the next time the included 'fetch' program runs, it
downloads all the messages in that group and stores them in
/var/spool/news.  You can then read them using the included 'leafnode'
NNTP server.

It does not support private groups correctly.  You might use 'fetch' to
download news and then use inn for your actual server; this would very
probably be possible to make work.