>Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:57:35 +0300
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: how to kill a zombie ?
>
>though zombies are already dead, I would like to kill the ones haunting my
>computer.
>kill -9 <pid_of_the_zombie> won't work
>neither 'killall <zombie>' nor 'kill -SIGKILL <pid_of_the_zombie>'.

Zombies only exist as a return value to the parent process. The parent
should be reaping them periodically to learn the exitvalue of its children.
If you have them left over then the parent is having problems - kill it and
init will take over and reap the zombies for you.

Kevin Thorpe
Purchasing Index (UK) Limited
LONDON, England
Tel: (44) 171 350 4200

Message created by ExpressIT! 2000 trial version.
(c) 1996 Infinite Technologies - http://www.ihub.com/products/exp2000