There was an article in the March (? I think) issue of Linux Journal.
It focussed on network programming - specifically daemons.  Anyway, it
discussed the reaping of zombies and gave example code.  However, I
think ONLY the parent process is capable of reaping its own zombies.  I
don't think it's possible to modify that example code to reap other
zombies not owned by that process... but then again, I may be wrong.
Everything's worth a try.

BTW, I don't have the issue with me.  But I can get it and e-mail that
part of the example code to anyone that wants it.

Regards,
David Taylor.