> A problem i've recently run into is that when i go to install a new
> package, it tells me that i need another library which is contained
> in another package, and then that package tells me the same thing..
> i've been downloading them off of the redhat RPM listings. does
> anyone know of one RPM that will contain most of the common libraries
> i will need?

Unfortunately, no. But there is a reason for that.  Assuming the typical
library RPM is about 500k, and assume there are even only 10 or 20
libraries, that would mean a 5M download, and result in most likely
installing libraries you don't need.

Additionally, every time one of those libs are downloaded, you
(conceivably) would have to download that whole 5M again.

So, while your on the RH site, there are several things you can do:

- Use "dir *lib*" to get a list of most of the libs available.

- Use "site exec rpm -qp --requires mypackage.i386.rpm" where mypackage is
the package you'd like to download.  The "site exec" portion works only on
a few ftp servers, but acts like you are executing the command on the ftp
server itself, not on the local machine.

You could also just download mypackage.i386.rpm, and execute that same rpm
command locally to see specifically which libs to download next.  Or, you
could always just use the bruteforce method, until it finally installs :)

> I am very new to linux, so i'm still grasping at straws
> for what to do.. but any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is an RPM-HOWTO, which will give the most common usage, if that
would help.  There is also glint, which is a graphical version of the
command-line rpm program.

> Also, is there any advantage in upgrading from 4.1 to 5.0? i'm
> eventually going to be running a 24/7 mail/web/etc server off of it.
> anyone have any pro's or con's for 5.0?

Depends on a few things.  First, there is a new library format that is
being used in 5.0, which prevents you from running 5.0 binaries on 4.x
systems, but not vice-versa.  Generally most packages these days are going
to be for 5.0, but I'm sure 4.2 will be kicking around for a while.

- How security conscious are you?  Support for 4.1 has been pretty much
dropped, although it's RPMs are still compatible with 4.2, so you can
follow the 4.2 errata for doing updates.

- Is the machine running ok now?  I have a few 4.x systems out there
still, and they are working just fine.  I don't do a lot of local access
to the machine, so I don't need to add additional functionality, so the
lack of 4.x-developed RPMs isn't much of a concern right now.

Additionally, 5.1 is going to be released in the near future, which will
fix many of the problems of 5.0.  If you do decide to upgrade, be sure to
apply all the errata listed on their web page.

Dave