First of all, RH5.0, as distributed and updated, doesn't include "." in any
user's PATH by default, even if you load "everything".  This means that, if
all users get this, either somebody has changed one of the global
initialization files or some installed program has taken 'improper'
liberties with the PATH setup.

Since you mentione /etc/skel/.bash_profile, I assume that the users are all
using bash, so we don't have to deal with all the other shell possibilities.

There are two approaches:

 1. You can find and fix where the "." is being inserted into the path.
        First check /etc/profile:
            If it hasn't been changed, it probably just ads /usr/X11R6/bin
            to the path

        Then check /etc/profile.d/*.sh.  All these files get invoked from
        /etc/profile and may be the culprits.  It's conceivable that
        something you installed after loading RH5.0 added a <something>.sh
        here that adds "." to PATH.

        Then check /etc/bashrc.  There shouldn't be any PATH settings here,
        but check anyhow.

        Initially the users' ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile should be just
        copies of /etc/skel/{.bashrc,.bash_profile}.  Check that such is
        the case and that they aren't responsible for the PATH setting.
        Also check for ~/.bash_login and/or ~/.profile.

        You can narrow down *WHERE* the problem is by temporarily modifying
        /etc/profile, for instance to put
            echo "start.etc.profile: $PATH"
        at the beginning of /etc/profile, and
            echo "end.etc.profile: $PATH"
        at the end of /etc/profile.  If "." isn't in the first and is in
        the second, that narrows down the possibilities.  Similarly with
        some of the other init files if this doesn't narrow it down.

    If you don't find the culprit in any of these, you may have to resort
    to the ugly solution of fixing it AFTER the fact.

 2. You can *REMOVE* "." from the PATH *AFTER* the fact, f'rinstance:
    export PATH=`echo $PATH | sed -e 's/^\.://' -e 's/:\.$//' -e 's/:\.:/:/'`

    For your particular case, you'd only need the last of the three
    regexps: the other two deal with "." at the beginning or end of the
    PATH, so I figured I'd give you the generic case.

I'd be interested in hearing what you discover.

        pete peterson
        GenRad, Inc.
        7 Technology Park Drive
        Westford, MA 01886-0033

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        +1-978-589-7478 (GenRad);  +1-978-256-5829 (Home: Chelmsford, MA)
        +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX); +1-978-589-7007 (Main GenRad FAX)