Gordon Filby wrote:

> > http://www.pcworld.com/cgi-bin/database/body.pl?ID=980309225518
> >
> > Linux IS growing no matter what ANYONE tells me...
> >

> Well, not the way I read the article it isn't. Maybe it could, might
> or something but growing ? I don't think so.
>
> Would you recommend Linux to your mom?

Recently I have been asked about installing Linux on some laptops and
other
PC'sthese are at present in the MS stronghold, but frustration of the
daily
reboot has led the owners to
look at alternatives.
The requirememnts are simple and I think indicative of many a current
frustrated MS WIn95 user.
the need to maintain compatiblity for file exchange with other Win95
users,
mailnly in Word for Windows and Excel .
OK before you guys rave about Applix and StarOffice, they do maintain
some
compatibilty but very poor by my tests to date. Fine on simple docs,
but on
100 page reports with embedded graphics and imported spreadsheet data,
forget
it.
If this worked , I would have several converts right now.

I have seen many wanting to go to Linux, but being forced to remain in
Win95
because of this file compatiblity issue.
Anyone any comments?

Phil

--
email at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
This message was sent  using Linux 2.0 power!