> I guess the trick is to get _everyone_ to switch to Linux and Applix or
> Staroffice. ;-) Then, there won't be any file format issues.

No, the trick is to get people away from proprietary software formats.
SO and Applixware are nice, but they use proprietary formats just like
MS. (But they may be more inclined to share the formats of the documents
than MS would be, of course.)

Postscript, (La)TeX, PDF, and so on are the way to go. Most writing will
probably be done in some form of HTML anyway, so as time goes on, this
file compatibility issue will be moot at some point, perhaps.