Here's the solution:
Wait two days.  Rebuild the rpm database.  Check
to see what is still installed (in this case it was
optprep).  Remove it manually.  Reinstall using the
install script.  Works like a champ.

No clue why it stopped.

For those who asked - I can't run both OS's
as I have a web server that needs to be up, and
there are some differences between apache and
the old Win95 Web Server I was using.  So I MUST
run Linux (like that's a major imposition).

Thanks for the help.

George