On 21-Mar-98 Kent R. Frazier wrote:
> I have redhat 4.2 installed using XFree86 and AfterStep 1.0.  When I set
> up my video card settings during install I took a very conservative
> route.  I am now noticing a slight screen flicker after installing
> AfterStep.
>
> My settings are as follows:
>
> Video Card: Diamond Stealth64 video 2001 Series (2121/2201) S3 Trio64V+
> with 2 Meg ram.
> 1024x768 at 16bpp
>
> Monitor: ViewSonic G771
> I used the following Custom settings:
> Non-Interlaced SVGA, 1024x768 @ 60 Hz

Pretty much anytime you use 60 hertz your going to have flicker. Turn off the
flouresent lights in your room, and the flicker will go away :)

Make the refresh rate anything but 60 hertz, and the flicker should go away.
THe tradeoff is the actual speed of the display will be slower.  Try xvidtune,
or Xconfigurator, and hopefully you can fine-tune it.

Dave