On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:

> Make the refresh rate anything but 60 hertz, and the flicker should go
> away. THe tradeoff is the actual speed of the display will be slower.
> Try xvidtune, or Xconfigurator, and hopefully you can fine-tune it.

I have to disagree here.  Flicker can be caused by a 60Hz screen rate
which matches your florescent lights, but it can also be caused by simply
having a bad screen refresh rate.  I personally notice flicker at anything
less than about 70Hz unless the screen is almost completely black, no
matter what sort of lighting there is.  Flicker can also be affected by
the angle and distance from you to your monitor, and to a lesser extent,
by the quality of the monitor itself (it depends how long the pixels glow
after being hit by the scanner beam).  Ironically, higher quality monitors
often have SHORTER glow times (which makes for a crisper image), and
therefore require a higher refresh rate to eliminate flicker.  Of course,
the better monitors usually don't have a problem with using the higher
refresh rate, so you get less flicker and a sharper image.

Finally, I'm not aware of any reason why a higher refresh rate would
(significantly) slow down your display.  Granted, the CPU cannot speak to
the video card at the same time as the monitor is reading the data.
However, the screen doesn't spend a lot of time accessing the video card
anyway and so this effect is minimal.  Most modern video cards pipeline
the data accesses so as to minimize conflicts.  And if your video card has
VRAM or WRAM (which this one probably doesn't as it isn't particularly
high quality) the effect is eliminated altogether as these memory types
can be accessed by both systems at once.