Douglas F. Elznic wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Scott McDermott wrote:
> > This is the wrong approach and is not very dissimilar from spam.  All
> > that would be accomplished here was to prove that we are well-connected
> > fanatics.

> messages saying you suck and so does your article. In my letter to
> the editors I listed URL's to go to to clarify the discrepancies in their
> article and other useful resources. I have trouble equating what I did to
> spamming, but maybe you can clarify that for me.

I must say I agree with the statement someone made that PR is the key--
for the masses.(called Marketing).  And for the technical people--
people who Know what they're talking about-- technical merit is the key
to winning their hearts.  And for people like those at Byte who are just
trying to make a buck, then letting them know of masses of _paying_
people who support the cause.

What is really 'supposed' to happen here is that the people in charge of
the marketing/PR, technical marketing, and directing the linux faithful
masses (that's us, right?), are supposed to come up with a well
thought-out response.  Then we are all supposed to support it.

so, Who are these people in charge of showing Linux's merits to the rest
of the world? (I hardly think it's a redhat-support mailing list.)
I think it would be an appropriate action item for:

I. Linux.org - linux.org, Gnu project and affiliated organizations
should certainly have an interest in the success of their own products
or closely associated products.

II. REDHAT, Caldera, Slackware, WorkGroup Solutions, etc. - When I put
my career on the line to get Linux in my workplace (because it is the
best for mission critical apps), and I choose to _buy_ Redhat's or
someone else's distribution, then they are obliged to reciprocate the
commitment such that my boss will see print about how Linux _Really_Is_
our best solution, at least as often as he will see print about how NT
is "taking the market".  This is the part of  supporting a product that
goes beyond "Tech support".

III. comp.os.linux.advocacy - I'm sure these folks have input about
this.

That's my 2cents.

--
Lane J. Bryson                  Network Product Analyst
RULDS2         Interphase Corporation, Systems Analysis Group