On Friday, March 27, 1998 3:02 PM, Victoria Stanfield
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, nearly comatose, Rich Kulawiec managed to scribble:
>
> ::On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 01:49:24AM -0000, Mat Serwas wrote:
> ::> OK, I admit, I'm lazy, and didn't read the book.
> ::
> ::Then suffer.

You're missing the point. The phrase "when all else fails read the
manual" is not only glib, it is a true reflection of how people use
computers today. I have frequently answered users' questions on typical
business applications (eg MS Office suite) which the user could easily
have found in the help file. Microsoft, for all their faults, recognise
that users work like this and the latest versions "push" help on people.
I personally disable such features, but I understand why they're there.

I really like Linux. Don't, however, kid yourself that it is easy for
non-techies to use. It isn't even hard: it's impossible. Stick a Windows
95 boot floppy in a system and the Windows 95 CD in the CD reader and
turn the system on. Is it easy to install? In the most part, yes. Is it
perfect? No. Are there lesson the Linux community can learn? YES YES
YES. Take the best from every operating system you can find, where
applicable, and don't be so naive as to assume that just because it
comes from Microsoft you cannot learn anything from it.

Keith