Mat Serwas wrote:

> In a tone, that only John Cleese, a favorite of mine could do justice:
> "Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sorry."
>
> All I can say is that RedHat proponents are comprised of two basic
> groups of people:
> 1. Those that have made the OS a hobby and enjoy tuning and
>     tweaking it to their own end.
> 2. Those that use it as a tool in business [both personal and economic.
>     [Of course, there would be a large group that is both.]
>
> The rest of this is directed toward group #2:
>
> I read the comp news groups alot and can say there is as much traffic
> relating to maintaining the RedHat OS as there is for the other OS's.
> So, I deduct from that that RedHat does not have a lock on OS's as far
> as superiority is concerned.
>
> 1. Can RedHat perform tricks/routines that other OS's can not?  No.
> 2. Does RedHat have a better selection of programs to choose from? No.
> 3. Do programs written for RedHat run better than their counterparts in
>     other OS's? No.
> 4. If RedHat is free, I would think there would be a stampede to it  just
>     get our from under the thumb of Bill [which is the reason I bought
> RedHat
>     in the first place]?  I see no stampede.
> 5. I like all my programs in their own root DIR.  I may be wrong on this
> but
>     the only OS I know that allow this is OS/2, carte blanc.
> 6. If RedHat is so great, why can't it fix itself when something goes
> wrong?
>     I think OS/2 might be ahead on that count.  "ding:,, attn user, "we"
> have
>     a error msg # 20xv3847 which is "the right mouse button is sticking and
>     the system believes the culprit is syrup [Aunt Jemima].  Solution is to
>     shut the system down, disconnect the mouse and wash the right contact
>     points with a mild solution of water. Rinse and let dry.
>     That's what I want.  Not: 'error' and a bunch of 16 bit strings like
> you get
>     with MS.
> 7.  Your system crashes [don't tell RedHat doesn't].  Can you boot from
>      Syquest, Iomega, CD-rom removeables to reload the OS?
> 8.  Why are there so many flavors of UNIX?  I really want to know.
> 9.  Right now, I am editing sectors on a disk to restore lost partitions.
> Other
>      than backing up the MBR [which all OS's can do], what snazzy utility
>      does RedHat have to facilitate this?  The only reason I say this is
> because
>      MS has/requires tons of utilities.  As a matter of fact, there are
> businesses
>      out there thriving in making maintenance utilities for MS.  So, are
> they
>      built into RedHat?
> 10. I see no difference between RedHat as an OS workstation or Server.
>      Why the argument?  It's just the hardware configuration.
> [...]

To my opinium, THE operation system will be made at the time Microsoft,
IBM and all the other manufactures of operating systems are going to put
there knowledge and efforts together in one singe product.

Since this is never going to happen, we'll have to live with the fact
that none of todays operating systems is 100% perfect.

To be honest, I like an operating system to be easy-to-use, so I can
mind the software and not the OS.

Linux is not as easy to use as -let's say- Windows 95/98. But I must say
it sure is more fun!

And because Linux does not support Plug and Pray(-eehhh sorry, Play)
the way other OS do, it and it's applications are a lot more stable
(many times an application hangs because of a wrong PnP choosen driver).

And of course, Linux is free to be modificated by everyone who wants to,
wich is a great advantige for the overall quality of the product.