[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >In a shell:
> >  cp new.xinitrc .xinitrc -f
> >That will overwrite your settings with the new settings. The one that
> >gets used is called '.xinitrc' so the new one won't be seen until it has
> >that name.
>
> OK...this is likely a very rudimentary and dumb question but...I tried
> this copy command but nothing appears to have changed.  Is there some
> means, ala WinDOS and OS/2, to produce a "Path" statement somewhere so
> that files\directories can be accessed from anywhere in the directory
> structure?  I ask because it appears that part of my problem, initially,
> was being in the wrong directory when I ran the cp command (kept getting a
> file not found message).  Once I realized that new.xinitrc was in the root
> directory, I went there and ran the copy command.  OK, it appeared to work
> (no error messages, at least) but then...nothing changed.  I restarted X
> Windows and it was the same old drab grey color as the default.  I
> shutdown and rebooted - same thing (I DID save my altered X windows to the
> new.xinitrc).

Once you save the new config, you have to go in an manually add things
like colors, background patterns, etc. All the saved version really does
is save window layouts, programs to run on startup, etc. It doesn't add
things to the menu or change the colors. Really dumb, yes, but the way
it is.

> I then began to wonder if I needed to specify the directory into which the
> copy was to be placed (which is not indicated in the command string
> above)?  THAT made me wish that I had a path statement such that I would
> not have to enter a bunch of extra location information on the command
> line.

Not needed. If you .xinitrc in root and startx is run from root, it will
be found. The problem is as stated above.

That's why I started using XFCE. Easy to set up, great-looking (kinda
like CDE), easy to configure and it saves settings. Don't recall where
got it but, I could try to locate it if you want to give it a try.

--
WIN95: Where do you want to go last month?