On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 December 2002 02:02 pm, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >     2.4.18-5 builds fine
> >     2.4.18 generic builds fine
> >     2.4.20 generic builds fine
> >
> >     2.4.18-18.*     Blows chunks building modules
> >     2.4.19-19.*     Blows chunks building modules
> >     2.4.20-2.2      Blows chunks building modules.
> >
> >     All on same system, no other changes.
>
> Hi Michael,
> I haven't been following this from the start, sorry if I'm missing
> something.
>
> I just tested this on an 8.0 system with kernel-source packages:
> kernel-source-2.4.18-18.8.0
> kernel-source-2.4.18-19.8.0
>
> Steps used:
> rpm -Fvh kernel-source${version}, cd /usr/src/linux-2.4/
> # make mrproper   <---------------- i think this is what makes it work
> # cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon.config .config
> # make oldconfig
> # make dep
> # make bzImage
> # make modules

in at least one previous release of red hat, trying to build a kernel
on a new install failed because someone at red hat had left some
files lying around after a previous build, and these leftovers
got bundled up with the RPM.  "make mrproper" took care of the
problem.

seems like we have that situation again.

rday