On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 08:02, Ben Russo wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 13:02, lester lasad wrote:
> > Thanks for the responses.  Regarding the name resolution is it looking
> > for itself, the local machine?  The command below "iptables -L-n -V"
> > just lists the version of iptables, nothing else.  Doing "iptables
> > -nL" gave a much quicker response.
> >
> > The main problem is that everything is slow after loading the rules (
> > examples:  webmin, vnc, opening a shell, smtp ) Once I disable the
> > rules the performance picks back up.  My intentions are to make this
> > server my SMTP gateway which will be handling thousands of emails on a
> > daily basis and the performance issue after loading iptables is
> > preventing me from deploying this server. Has anyone seen this
> > behavior after enabling iptables?
> >

> Re: experience with performance.
>
>       I have an old Pentium box (think it is a P120) with 96MB of
>       RAM.  It can handle my Cable modem connections network of 5
>       home PC's MASQUERADING with no problems at all.  My wife
>       and I both use the internet daily.
>
>       At a company I used to work at we had a Celeron 300MHz box
>       with 64MB of RAM that handled an office of about 10 people
>       accessing the internet through a T1 and a lab with a dozen
>       servers and about 200 customers on the internet and we never
>       had a problem with performance.
>
>       At the same company we had a Data Center with about 50 Servers
>       doing IMAP, SMTP, POP, WebMail and we had thousands of customers
>       connected at any given time (we had 200,000+ e-mail boxes)  and
>       we had a RedHat 7.1 firewall running on an IBM Netfinity with a
>       750MHz P3 and 256MB of RAM and we would routinely have 30Mb/s
>       sustained throughput accross a few thousand TCP connections
>       over a 100Mb/s Ethernet and didn't have any problems.
>
> I don't think that the problem has a root cause in iptables.
> I think that there may be a related misconfiguration with it.

I'd have to agree.  I'm using an old Pentium 100 (that I picked up at
Goodwill ;) with 48MB of RAM as a firewall/gateway for around 10 users
sharing a DSL line.  It handles the task easily (using Shorewall to
configure the iptables).  If you're trying to set up iptables, I'd
highly recommend using Shorewall.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)