Anyone else have anything to add to this or can anyone give more detail
on how this is a DNS issue? I have a very similar problem as the
original poster.

I have two Redhat 8.0 machines, one has this same problem while the
other one does not. Both have the same DNS settings, ie they hit the
same DNS server.

For example if I load iptables, both running the same script, one
machine immediately has problems with just about everything: ssh,
webmin, xterm, etc, everything is sluggish. The other machine responds
fine. I've never found a solution to this and could only turn off
iptables on the one having the problem. (not directly connected to the
net, so not a big deal really.)

But I would like to know what is causing the problem.

Thanks,
James