Awuku,

I'm not sure how simple or difficult it is to do this with sendmail, however
the approach is guaranteed to misdeliver mail.   The reason is that when
Internet mail is in transit - it is sent with two components - the message
content (what you see with your client plus 822 message headers), and the
message envelope.  The contents of the 822 header (To:, Cc:, Subject:, etc
fields) ARE NOT necessarily the same as the message envelope.   The message
envelope, sometimes also referred to as the "recipient list", contains the
addresses to which a message is to be delivered to, independent of the
header fields.  The contents of this list can and often do change as a
message is in transit between the originator and eventual recipients of the
message.  For instance, Bcc'd recipients do not show up in the headers, but
do in the recipient list.  Messages that get forwarded (through .forward
files or equivalent), or resubmitted (distribution lists) normally don't
touch the message headers, however only modify the recipient list.

When messages undergo final delivery, the recipient list, or envelope
information is lost.   This is what you need in order to determine what
mailbox or mailboxes to sort mail to.  A simple example - let's say I send a
message to only this list - you will only see a To: of
[EMAIL PROTECTED] header field, regardless of who it was delivered to.
How do you intend to route this?   There is no way to automate this.  Let's
say your boss sends out a confidential message, and blind copies you.   Your
address will not show up in any of the headers.   How do you intend to
deliver this?   Get it wrong and all of a sudden your co-workers have a copy
of a message that was supposed to be confidential and for your eyes only.

There are several ways in which to properly configure systems which are not
perminantly connected to the Internet (or who are connected utilizing
dynamically assigned IP addresses) so that mail servers will work properly.
Some of these include the use of dynamic IP service providers, message
queuing at your provider with ETRN capabile servers at your location, Batch
SMTP (BSMTP), and a few others.

A more detailed description of this problem, with diagrams can be found in
our Principles of Operation manual
(http://www.ima.com/pdf/iems/v6/principles.pdf) on page 45.  The section
that describes addressing and the problems with POP3 sorting of mail is
generic and not specific to our products, as well as how one such approach
(BSMTP) can be used.

Best Regards,

Tim Kehres
International Messaging Associates