What version of sendmail are you running?

> I've made several stabs at the obvious within the sendmail.cf
> file to no avail. I set the "Smart" as recommended for outgoing.
> DSmailer:relayhostname
>
> In the comment it says: "To forward "ALL" mail to this relay
> host, "un"comment the appropriate rule in ruleset 0,
> as indicated by the ruleset's comments."  I found the following:
> "Comment out this rule if you want all mail to go to the
> Smart-host relay defined by the "DS" macro."
> "I won't detail the line here but I did comment it out. :>)"

You really should not be editing the .cf file directly. If your goal is to
specify a SmartHost, add the following to your sendmail.mc file

define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.mydomain.com')

Note the back-quote/quote around mail.mydomain.com.

FWIW: I use the mailertable feature to relay all inbound e-mail, not
smarthost.

> In order to get the domain correct when mail is generated
> from the sendmail box it appears necessary to set
> "My official domain" Djmyserver.mydomain.com
> That seems to be the only way I can get mail to appear
> correctly.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To properly set Dj in sendmail.mc...

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `mail.mydomain.com')dnl

BTW: Setting this should have nothing to do with re-writing the e-mail
envelope. Use

MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl

> Whenever I do this any mail sent to mydomain.com is
> considered local and delivered accordingly.  I set every variable
> I could see in sendmail.cf to forward locals to the relay
> host but it just refuses.
>
> I need "ALL" mail even to mydomain.com to be forwarded on to
> the relayhost.

Sounds like you have specified mydomain.com in the "local-host-names file.
By doing so, sendmail will select the "local" mailer (procmail), not the
relay mailer.

> What have I missed.  And serious thanks to anyone who can help.

Be careful that you are not setting up an open-relay. Run some tests to
confirm once you get your system working correctly.

Steve Cowles