LCD
> > on then and put a shutdown that will do a shutdown now.
>
> If you aren't running any big userland applications, then chances are
> you'll be okay.  Believe me, I've had my desktop go down (before I got
> UPS) several times and the worst that has happened has been some of my
> emails were not marked as "read" when I just did.  The danger is
always
> what *could* happen.  If you're mostly using these boxes as
> routers/firewalls then I wouldn't expect any problem as long as you're
> running a journalled FS.  If you're *not* running a journalled fs,
then
> you'll probably have some long fsck's coming on reboot.  And killing a
> non-journalled system *can* corrupt the filesystem itself, although
> that's not that common either.

So, for the most part I will be OK but if a box blows up it would most
likely take a constant power up power down to do it. The only app that I
am running on some of these boxes is MySQL for IDS. If something doesn't
get logged then oh well.

> > I just wanted to know what was going to happen. The telco guys are
> > contractors and there is no dedicated computer room since there are
no
> > servers at these sites. So I am a little SOL on telling these guys
not
> > to do it. The cases are also not PC based.
>
> If these boxes are on a network, why can't you ssh to them and shut
them
> down?  Or is it that you don't know *when* they are getting moved and
> have to have them up as much as possible?

I just don't know when they will go down and the people bringing them
down don't care about them. The cases don't look like PCs do they just
don't know and the signs that I have put on them get removed so I am
just trying to way out the down falls and get ammo for going up to there
bosses. If something does blow up we can charge them for the rebuild. We
are monitoring them so we know when they get powered off but just can
predict when that will happen.