-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Gordon Messmer
Sent: 09 January 2003 15:43
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Windows 2000 slow with Linux 7.3

> > > Problem:
> > > Network with Dell 2500 Redhat 7.3 dual network card (Bonded) operates
> slow
> > > at times with Windows 2000 workstations using MS Access, MS Word and
> Sage
> > > Accounts.  Mapped drives and files disconnect/fail to read at times.
> > >
> > > Comment:
> > > Above setup works ok on another system running Redhat 6.2
> > >
> > > Appeal:
> > > Has anyone had a similar problem and can recommend a solution.  Have
> tried
> > > most of the obvious things.

I don't know what constitutes the obvious things, so I'll ask:

Have you applied all of the updates for your system?  There are updates
to samba, the kernel, and glibc that may, if nothing else does, affect
your server.  What version of these are installed in your system?

Are you NFS mounting any of the data that you're sharing from the Samba
server?  If so, then NFS file locking must be in a working state in
order for Samba to operate normally.

If you want to debug the situation, then you should probably increase
the "log level" of the samba server (to 3 maybe?) and :
tail -f /var/log/samba/<client>.log
When the client hangs, the log probably will to.  Look at what the
server is doing when the client is having the problem.