Thanks for the advice, but I want to get it working not write a thesis on
it.

Perhaps you could answer a few questions that will help me along that path?

I gather I need to get ospf working on the interface (ppp0).  I have seen
no mention of how to get that to happen and the question has been raised
"does Linux support ospf on a ppp connection?".  The people I am connecting
to run BSD.

I also gather I need to have multicast on that inetrface which I can do
with
     ifconfig ppp0 multicast broadcast -pointopoint
or is there a better way?

Any constructive assistance much appreciated :-)

Willie