i have this problem also, using redhat-8.0 and kde-3.1-rc6 compiled from
scratch.  not only do my hypens sometimes look like squares, but as i scroll
thru the man page in konsole, bits and pieces of the new line remain on the
previous line.  its hard to explain but it gets ugly and hard to read...

-- christopher