From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Brian Ashe
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 4:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Printing from openoffice

Larry Brown,

On Friday January 24, 2003 02:52, Larry Brown wrote:
> The RH8 lpd system seems to work pretty good.  I set up two smb printers
> that are connected to a win2k pc on the network.  The both print fine.
One
> is an HP Photosmart 1215 and the other is a PDF distiller.  Using the test
> mechanism it printed both just fine.  Now I'm trying to print from
> openoffice and it only offers a generic printer or pdf converter in its
own
> software.  How do I get OpenOffice to recognize the printers already
> configured in lpd?  The OpenOffice spadmin program lists a group of
> printers different than the ones from the lpd system configuration.  It
> does not show the printers already installed.  Please, any help would be
> appreciated.

This is a litlle bit unintuitive, but here's how I do it...

If you dont remember the "names" of the printers do a

#cat /etc/printcap

and look for the lines beginning like...
Server_HP|lp:\
PDF_print:\

They should be the first line for each entry.

Then in the spadmin choose "New Printer" then "add printer"

When it asks you for the "Command line appropriate..." enter

lpr -P <printername>

so for the above mentioned examples it would be...

lpr -P PDF_print
and
lpr -P Server_HP

Click next, name the printer and click finish. Test. All should work fine.

Hope that helps.

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]