Thanks for your help j.post that did it.

Edit .bashrc in your home directory and add this line:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin

(assuming you have version 1.4.0--change the path to wherever the java SDK was installed.) Then restart your desktop GUI.
When I asked this at a forum I got told to put that line in .bash_profile, should I remove the line from there (because it didn't work)? Also I was told to make a link of java and javac and but them in /usr/local/bin. Are they still needed?

Lastly, when I tried to install the Studio ONE IDE it wanted to install it inside /root. Where should I put it if I want all users to be able to access it?