Point granted.  However, as I recall from when I did this install (a
while ago) what I came up against was that the way Red Hat sourced
various other startup files when starting an interactive non login bash
shell, this was the only way I could figure out to prevent multiple
instances of the Java part of the path.

I'd have to trace back through the config file sourcing to remember all
the gory details, which mercifully I've forgotten ;)  But, this
accomplishes what I wanted:  System wide access to jdk without multiple
instance of the java sub-path.

John