On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 15:55, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 15:45, Buck wrote:
> > Nodeps is no dependants.  That is why it is more likely to disrupt your
> > system.
>
> I know what it is.  Nodeps doesn't make dependencies go away, though.
> It just won't warn you before it installs a package that isn't going to
> work on your system.
>
> Using --nodeps is more likely to disrupt your system than anything else
> I can think of, except for 'rm -rf'

I'll add my $0.02...

The only times I've used --nodeps were A) when the package dependencies
for whatever reason were broken or not detecting properly that the
required package was there (Bastille used to be this way, since they
required you grab some perl modules from Mandrake), or B) when the thing
a package depended on was installed completely from source (as opposed
to source rpm) and therefor the necessary files were there just not
registered in the package database.  And I can count the number of times
on 1 hand I've done the latter on a production system; usually it's just
on things I'm experimenting with.

And yes, I agree it can and often does break things horribly and/or
subtly.

-Brian
Brian Smith-Sweeney
Senior Systems Administrator