---------- Original Message -----------
From: "Brian J. Smith-Sweeney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 Jan 2003 10:16:30 -0800
Subject: RE: Phoebe - 8.0.93

> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 15:55, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 15:45, Buck wrote:
> > > Nodeps is no dependants.  That is why it is more likely to disrupt your
> > > system.
> >
> > I know what it is.  Nodeps doesn't make dependencies go away, though.
> > It just won't warn you before it installs a package that isn't going to
> > work on your system.
> >
> > Using --nodeps is more likely to disrupt your system than anything else
> > I can think of, except for 'rm -rf'
> >

> I'll add my $0.02...
>
> The only times I've used --nodeps were A) when the package dependencies
> for whatever reason were broken or not detecting properly that the
> required package was there (Bastille used to be this way, since they
> required you grab some perl modules from Mandrake), or B) when the thing
> a package depended on was installed completely from source (as opposed
> to source rpm) and therefor the necessary files were there just not
> registered in the package database.  And I can count the number of times
> on 1 hand I've done the latter on a production system; usually it's just
> on things I'm experimenting with.
>
> And yes, I agree it can and often does break things horribly and/or
> subtly.
------- End of Original Message -------

FWIW, I agree, except ...  I had a RH 8 machine on which I was trying to
install plugger.4x.rpm. Everytime I did a rpm -ivh plugger.4x.rpm, it would
hang and I had to go through the clean the rpm database drill. After about 10
tries, I did it with --nodeps, and it installed without error. I guess the
real issue is why rpm hangs and one has to rm/rebuild so often.

Also, I had the same problem with rpm -e plugger, it would hang every time.
Use nodeps, and away it would go. It would be much more useful if rpm would
put out an error message rather than hanging. Hopefully, the bugzilla folks
will get it done.