Hello, all:

I am having an odd problem (posted here since I can't seem to find an
8.0-specific mailing list). Using cups-1.1.17-0.2 on RedHat 8.0, and
have successfully configured an HP Deskjet 970Cxi printer in CUPS via
the browser interface.

I have also proceeded to enable the cups-lpd service within xinetd
(xinetd also patched to latest version), and configure StarOffice to
print to "lpr -P deskjet_970". In theory, this should all work.

However, I can print a test page from CUPS but from StarOffice's SPADMIN
I cannot. The error message received is:

----------------------
Status Information:
 sending job 'dpaiz@adan+899' to deskjet_970@localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 cannot open connection to localhost - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
and accepts connections from this host and from non-privileged
(>1023) ports

While iptables is loaded, it has no rules and ACCEPT policies all the
way around. All of this is running on localhost, by the way.

I'm stumped... any ideas?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz