On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Kent Borg wrote:

> I looked more carefully at Red Hat's /etc/ntp.conf file and commented
> out the line that read "restrict default ignore".  That seems to have
> fixed it, but I am wondering whether I have just opened up a security
> hole.

"restrict default ignore" will ignore all NTP time and control packets.
"restrict default nomodify" will allow time packets to be processed, but
disallow changes to the configuration, which is reasonably safe as long as
you have multiple time sources.

If you're running dhclient, though, your changes to ntp.conf will be
over-written the next time your lease is renewed.

--
"Of course I'm in shape! Round's a shape, isn't it?"