Michael

http://127.0.0.1:901 works!!  brilliant

However, in case this is helping anyone else my /etc/hosts file contains

192.168.1.102   Prospect3
192.168.1.100   Prospect2
192.168.1.101   Prospect1       localhost
192.168.1.101   Prospect1.Prospect

Prospect 2 and 3 were entered by my to see my windoze machines, the
other two lines were already there.

 and /etc/resolv.con contains

nameserver 194.168.8.100
nameserver 194.168.4.100
nameserver 194.168.4.100

(I have a Linksys DSL lan router/hub acting as DHCP server.)  As far as
I am aware I have no DNS server running at present (stage 3 when I get
to implement a firewall for the network.)

Regards
Ashley