Here's one for Samba bods that know Win 95/98.  It's a bit long winded
but hopefully I'll include all the information that is necessary for
some kind soul to help me.

I have (at last, and due to the help of some kind people on this list
and Steve Litt's troubleshooting guide at
www.troubleshooters.com/linux/) gotten Samba (and more importantly SWAT)
up and running.  My system config is as follows:

1/ Linux (RH8.0, latest kernel) machine running Samba 2.2.5 with an HP4P
laserjet attached.  Local printing is fine (both in Linux and as
smbclient).

2/ Win 95 machine. Has standard HP driver installed. (PCL 5)

3/ Win 98 SE2 machine.  Encrypted passwords are turned off on this PC.
Has standard HP driver installed (PCL5)

Both Win machines can see the Samba server and work OK with shared
folders and home directories.  No problems there.

Both Win machines can see the HP4 printer on the Samba server but when
connecting to them (adding as a printer in Printer Setup) or trying to
print to them I get a message telling me that the remote printer is
off-line and requires user intervention.  Now the thing is, is that if I
shell to a command prompt and use the 'net use' command to attach to the
printer I can print to the HP4 perfectly adequately, although I assume
that I'm not using the windows printer driver at this point.  I can also
print to a Lexmark inkjet that I have on the win98 machine from the
Linux box.

I've gone back in the archives for the list and notice that there was a
thread that mentioned that windows print drivers have a habit of
monitoring the printer and this can mess up printing to network printers
(although I have never had this problem in total win environments that
have network attached printers).  Is this perhaps causing me the problem
or is there something else that I need to try?

Kind Regards
Ashley Kitson