Linda

You absolute beauty!!

Worked first time from the 95 machine.  Not sure about 98 as it's being
used by member of family.  I confidently expect it to work though.

This needs to go into a FAQ somewhere.  Not the *ideal* solution for a
large network but it works!

Many thanks

Kind Regards
Ashley

In case it helps others my steps were:

1/ plug printer cable from win pc to printer
2/ use start-settings-printers on win machine to create new Hp4p printer
locally attached and print test page.
3/ go to ports page on properties page of printer and add new port
\\HOSTNAME\<prnname alias>  (In my case I had a printer set up on Linux
box called 'prn_linux_hp4p' with an alias of 'hp4'
4/ Do a test print, hear linux box disks whirring, lights flash and
paper ejected with expected Win test print page.

Bish Bish Bosh :-)