Hi list,
having some probs getting sound to work in my RH8 sys (using above
hardware).  When initially installed, the operating system could not
initialize the driver for it.  When it loads into KDE, this is the
message I get:
sound server informational message
error while initializing the sound driver
device /dev/dsp can's be opened (no such device)
the sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I have looked on the internet, but found nothing specific to my
problem.  All upgrades have been installed, and the kernel I am using is
2.4.18-19.8.0.  I thought it may be that my sound is not supported by
Red Hat, and OSS, so I thought it might be an idea to install the ALSA
drivers?? what do you think??
Also, how do I view error messages displayed when the system boots up?
I have looked in /var/log/dmesg, but it does not detail everything in
there.  Is there another file that shows the rest of the startup?
regards Greg