On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 22:11, Larry Brown wrote:
> What prompted this line of questioning was the idea that in a closed and
> safe environment one could use this method to set up an alias for root as
> say...administrator.  Then one 9x machine could log on as administrator and
> access all of the win2k/nt/Linux boxes through samba with full authority to
> make any changes.  Even if there is a way to make an alias, I don't know if
> it would then work via samba as a real user.  This was just an idea I wanted
> to explore.  The uid and gid idea expressed earlier could apply here, I've
> never tried it.

Hmm. I like that idea.  I am working on a project where we are
integrating the first samba server into a small NT network.  As it is my
first experience with a windows NT domain environment and the sysadmin
(my brother) is not very linux savvy yet we were discussing today the
best way for him to view the logs from windows, as he can for the three
NT servers without having to log onto the box and going to the other
tool.

One of the things we discussed but have not tested is sharing /var/log
and only granting access to the admin group. At least he can explore the
dir and click on the logs to read them. Let me know what you come up
with.

Bret