Ahhh..  Always important to include details.  Many ways to handle this,
first of all, you can override unix permissions with a samba share, and
only set the valid users list to any arbitrary samba user.  You can also
use the username map. You can also add another user with a UID and GID
of '0', and that will work as well.

samba example:

[etc]
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes
        delete readonly = yes
        path = /etc
        only user = yes
        force group = root
        force user = root
        create mode = 644
        user = jms

note:  this will force user & group permission on changed files to be
root.  That is not necessarily desirable.  However, for simple cases,
this would be fine and more detailed administration should happen via
Putty, or SSH or whatever.

js