I would like to point out that this is not necessarily a linux problem.
I have both a windows98 and windowsxp machine that refuse to allow
any computer windows or linux to show up in their network places or
network neighboorhod. Yet if I do a find computer search they will
always show the desired computer and all its shares. I looked on the
web and microsoft gives half a dozen reasons why this can happen
the top of their list is a never ending master browser war.  So far
I haven't solved it since the find computer allows you to open the
share and copy and paste between the two and printing is not effected
it hasn't been worth the time.
                           Linda