On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 09:45, sentinel wrote:

> Ok.  I have it working now.  The problem was my sshd_config wasn't setup to
> authenticate using PAM modules.  Seems it's turned off by default (I'f I'm
> reading this correctly).

You're probably not.  PAM is always used to authenticate passwords,
IIRC.

> When I login now I see a message reporting it's creating the users home
> directory however no directory is created.  If I chmod 777 /home then the
> directory is created (obviously I don't want to do this).

A quick search suggests that this is probably due to SSH's new privilege
separation.  You may be able to work around the problem by turning off
privilege separation in sshd_config.

> I wonder if setting a bind user/password would resolve the problem.
> Currently I connect anonymously to the LDAP server (for testing purposes only)

Binding anonymously will be slightly faster/less overhead and probably
more secure.