>> It wasn't working until I enabled
>> PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt.

> I thought it started working when you added the users' home dir (or
> pam_mkhomedir).  Are you sure about that fix?

I could have sworn that was when it started working (/me looks back through
notes).  The pam_mkhomedir wasn't added until a few minutes later.  It was
then when I noticed a message referencing a missing user home directory that
pam_mkhomedir was added.

Just turned it off and removed pam_mkhomedir.  Still able to login with
several accounts just fine.  Weird.  Didn't do that before :-)  I'm tabling
that until later.  The point is I can log in now.

>> Problem is I'm requiring it for security reasons.  Tough call.  777 to /home
>> or no priv seperation.  I think I'll check out the PAM modules code and see
>> if there is a work around.

>I don't know.  Are the home directories that are created when you set
/home to 777 owned by the correct user, or by sshd?

Ok. Set home to 777 and added pam_mkhomedir again to system-auth.  When I
login it creates the users home directory just fine.  The user is the owner
of the directory.  Interesting...  If I can do the same thing with the
default /home rights then I'm set.  Looks like it switches to the user
account then creates the user's home directory.  Bummer :-(

> By default, anyone in the world can connect to the LDAP server and read
> data that's not private.  There's nothing insecure about that (except
> for the binding part, but you should be filtering these connections at
> your edge firewall).

We are.  However the requirements are pretty strict as defined by my
employer.  I'm hoping to convince them it's unnecessary.

{snip}

> * stores the username/password in plain text on every machine you
configure as an LDAP client
> * sends the username/password over the network, usually in plain text

> The last two are where anonymous access is actually more secure than
> forcing authentication for any read access.  The data that's readable is
> not sensitive, so avoiding management logins just means that there's
> less privilege that's likely to be escalated.

Is this also the case when using TLS and LDAP?

I really do appreciate your assistence! !

I've never dived this deep into LDAP and PAM before.  Getting comfortable
with the two finally :-)

Thx again!