<< Subj:         Re: Telnet hesitation
 Date:  98-04-06 14:21:43 EDT
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Price)
 To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Yes,

 I understand that this has to do with the Target machine failing to
 reverse resolve the ip address that you are telnetting from ... it
 eventually times out and lets you in anyway - look at /var/log/messages on
 the target - you will see that the log usually shows names (fqdn) for
 telnet sessions.

 davep

 On Mon, 6 Apr 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Has anyone ever experienced a problem where you telnet to a machine
 > running RHLinux, and there is an unusual amount of time (>1minute)
 > that goes by before you get a login: prompt??
 >
 > -------
 > $ telnet machine.running.redhat
 > Trying machine.running.redhat...
 > Connected to machine.running.redhat.
 > Escape character is '^]'.
 >
 >      (~1-2 minutes elapse)
 >
 > Red Hat Linux release 4.2 (Biltmore)
 > Kernel 2.0.30 on an i586
 > login:
 > -------
 >

 > Eventually the thing works OK.
 > I've seen it before, but I can't remember what/how to fix it.  My
 > recall is that it "fixed itself" over time (???)
 >

 >      H E L P !!!
 >

 > Joe
 >  >>

I have the same problem AND also a problem where my SCO box prints to a
Linux (5.0) box ->  it pauses every 5 or 10 lines.......   I will get DNS
working
instead of just using host files, and see if that works?
 Greg   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])