My experience with a heterogenious network consisting of
several brands of Unix, WFW, W95 WNT - with no NT Domanin
servers!:

When I got here, there was no DNS, and there were as many different
HOSTS files as there were boxes on the network.  When I setup our
Linux box to be an email server, an associate suggested we go DNS and
helped me set it up. There is only a single HOSTS file now on the
Linux DNS server.  How much nicer this all is.

If you do not have DNS, then every station on the network must have a
HOSTS file. In Unix its usually in /etc/hosts, and on Windows boxes
it will be in /windows or a subdirectory.  Seems to me the NT even
has an ETC directory somewhere down low.  And of course the HOSTS
file equates an ip address to a cannonical name (FQDN).

The DNS server network is fairly simple to set up.  You get a
definitive HOSTS file together, then you setup named daemon.
The named daemon is kicked off at boot time, and there are at least 2
files in /var/named:  named.hosts and named.rev, details of these can
probably be found in HOWTOs somewhere, or I'll provide examples via
private request/reply.  Then on the workstation end, all you have to
do is setup its ip address and name, then modify the network
configuration software to have a DNS.  On the W95 and WNT boxes this
configuration is a piece of cake.

Its been easy on the HPUX, Sun ,Siemens, and SCO boxes too.  It may
take a weekend to go around to all the stations and change them, but
its better to do it sooner than later, after your network becomes
twice as big - and networks never seem to get smaller or go stagnant!

my $.02 worth.
fred

I gotta tell you, setting up the email server was looking impossible
until we got DNS running.

        > Date:          Mon, 6 Apr 98 13:59:27 -0500
> From:          tjordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:            Dave Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       RE: Telnet hesitation

> Any idea how to keep it from doing this? Most of our machines (win95) are
> configured with IP only and don't have fqdn's associated with them through
> DNS. Is there a way that you know of to avoid the name lookups?
>
> >===== Original Message From Dave Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
> >Yes,
> >
> >I understand that this has to do with the Target machine failing to
> >reverse resolve the ip address that you are telnetting from ... it
> >eventually times out and lets you in anyway - look at /var/log/messages on
> >the target - you will see that the log usually shows names (fqdn) for
> >telnet sessions.
> >
> >davep
> >
> >On Mon, 6 Apr 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Has anyone ever experienced a problem where you telnet to a machine
> >> running RHLinux, and there is an unusual amount of time (>1minute)
> >> that goes by before you get a login: prompt??
> >>
> >> -------
> >> $ telnet machine.running.redhat
> >> Trying machine.running.redhat...
> >> Connected to machine.running.redhat.
> >> Escape character is '^]'.
> >>
> >>    (~1-2 minutes elapse)
> >>
> >> Red Hat Linux release 4.2 (Biltmore)
> >> Kernel 2.0.30 on an i586
> >> login:
> >> -------
> >>

> >> Eventually the thing works OK.
> >> I've seen it before, but I can't remember what/how to fix it.  My
> >> recall is that it "fixed itself" over time (???)
> >>

> >>    H E L P !!!
> >>

> >> Joe

Fred Lenk, SysAdmin, CommPower
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]